It is the Program Staff’s responsibility to work with their Branch Director in developing, organizing, supervising, directing and promoting educational, recreational, arts & craft or technology activities at the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Ventura for the age group that is assigned to them. Programs should include large group activities, small group and individual activities, tournaments, social skill development, homework assistance, art projects, etc. The Program Staff reports directly to the Branch Director.
- Must possess organizational and motivational skills as well as written and oral communication skills.
- Must possess the ability to market activities to members.
- Must have working knowledge of various educational and/or recreational activities, and how to implement them or be willing to learn them.
- Must be able to relate to all members.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED SKILLS
- Willing to attain First Aid/CPR Certification. Administer First Aid/CPR when necessary. (Training to be the responsibility of the Boys & Girls Club.)
- Possession of a Class “C” license for over one year, and a clean drivers record (pre-requisite to driving Club vans)
- Educational requirements: Must possess an AA degree, have completed 48 college units from an accredited college, or be qualified to attain a Paraeducator Certificate from the Ventura Unified School District.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Plan and direct activities for Club members.
- Assist in the development and promotion of educational, recreational activities through announcements, creation of flyers and postings on bulletin boards.
- Lead activities in an upbeat, enthusiastic manner. Promote fair play, good morals and high self-esteem for all members.
- Conduct Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s National programs as requested. Examples include: Smart Programs, Passport to Manhood, Club Tech, Fine Arts Exhibit, etc…
- Conduct group or needs vs. interests programs as requested.
- Inspect program area and submit maintenance requests as needed to the Branch Director in order to assure that the program area is safe and in order. Help maintain and repair program equipment as needed.
- Assist with all Club-wide special events.
- Be trained in and able to safely transport club members in approved club vehicles.
- Perform all other duties as deemed necessary by the Branch Director to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Able to stand for long periods of time in order to safely supervise a room of 20 or more youth and be able to prevent problems that may occur.
- Able to run, throw or kick a ball to demonstrate physical activities for youth.
- Able to handle tools that are needed for program delivery i.e.: computers, set up of chairs & tables, throwing/catching a ball, glue guns, scissors, paper cutter, copy machine, pencil sharpener, etc…
- Able to reach above head for attaining and replacing program supplies.
- Able to use cleaning supplies i.e. a mop, broom, dustpan, empty trash cans, launder Club towels, uniforms, etc…
- Able to squat or stoop to pick things up or assist a child.
- Able to transport yourself to your assigned worksite, another Boys & Girls Club of Ventura facility or any offsite scheduled training or meeting.
- Able to follow the employment rules and dress code as established by the Boys & Girls Club to ensure the safety and quality of program delivery.
- Able to fill out a supplies request or facility maintenance order when needed by the Department Coordinator.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Must have the physical skills abilities for the working conditions that are required to perform the essential duties of this position, as required by the American with Disabilities Act. The physical skills might include sitting or standing for long periods of time, walking and carrying or lifting items up to 40 pounds at one time, squatting, bending over, twisting, or repetitive motions. These activities might be in addition to other physical skills that are needed to complete the job description.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.
EFFECT ON END RESULT
To assure the Boys & Girls Club of Greater Ventura has a well-organized, well-supervised and safe program in your assigned area and to achieve maximum participation from Club members in program activities.
We provide a positive place for all youth, especially those who need us most, and quality programs to help them become healthy, responsible, confident and productive members of our community.